Wednesday 10 September 2014

Working It Til' It Works


Hey guys :)

So one thing I have discovered from chatting to other crafters, is that EVERYONE, no matter what their skill level, occasionally creates a flop or just a project that for whatever reason, doesn't work for them. 
Myself included. 

So today I am sharing one of my 'flops'. 
A layout I did a while back that I wasn't really happy with so put aside for another day.




There was just too much white going on in the background which made it look like there was no structure, just this big blog in the middle.

One of the many things that I love about mixed media is that you have the ability to 'Work It Til' It Works'. So I got this layout out on the weekend to see if I could salvage it, to at least something I wouldn't be embarrassed to show anyone.



And while it is still not a favourite layout, I definitely like it a little more than I did.

So to get around the white and kind of washed out look, I painted the background black with acrylic. Without moving any of the elements you can see how the page just flows so much better without the distraction of the white.



I've added a bit more color, changed the photo, added a few more embellishments as well as a little stamping with gesso around the edges to break up the black.

What do you think...an improvement?





Products Used:
Prima Marketing Forever Green Paper Collection & Flowers
Prima Marketing Color Bloom Spray In Cobalt
Ranger Alcohol Ink in Gold




12 comments:

  1. Really it is beautiful!!! Very beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love how you 'repaired' this lay-out! I think it came out really, really wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, I understand what you mean with this "white" problem, and I really love the way you "save" your LO. Wahou, this blue and gold on black is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HuH? I loved both pages... but when I scroll back and forth I can see the difference in the layouts.. both still look pretty dam good to me though!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! Amazing... I would have just tossed it and started again. The black paint makes a huge difference and I love how the gold pops... fabulous Georgia <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome pages! Love the way you have created!
    Amazing!
    Xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job targeting what was wrong so accurately, along with the easiest way to fix it! I really like the second layout.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply wow. D gold pops so well without d white in d bg.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved both pages! TFS your salvage ;)

    ReplyDelete